Recently I did SCOM upgrade with the latest Update Rollout and found some issues with SCOM agents. This is the first time when I use Windows Update rather than manual files download. I want to share with you my experience, hope it will helps you with your issues.
Firstly, I didn’t see the list of SCOM agents need to be upgraded in Administration – Device Management – Pending Management. Download and run KB for SCOM Server manually under elevated mode, then you will able to see this list. Next time I will use again manual download and install.
Secondly, some SCOM agents just failed when I ran upgrade or they shows 2016 RTM / Previous UR number. That means something went wrong. I solved this by manual upgrade:
- search SCOM agent in SCOM console and delete it from there (Administration – Device Management – Agent Managed)
- download agent to the server locally from SCOM Server folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2016\Operations Manager\Server\AgentManagement. I selected “amd64” because all my servers are Windows 64 bits
- open command line under elevated mode, run MomAgent.msi (or select file with the language code you need), enter management group and SCOM management server name.
- when installation is finished run KB4024941-amd64-Agent.msp (only in case if you upgrade to the SCOM 2016 UR4!). It will upgrade agent from RTM to the latest UR.
- open SCOM console, Administration – Device Management – Pending Management, you will see just installed agent in the list of Manual Approve. Approve the agent
- then find the agent in Administration – Device Management – Agent Managed, in Properties – Security allow agent ast as a proxy.
SCOM 2016 UR4 has a bug – the console shows SCOM agent version incorrectly. I suggest you to install SCOM Management Pack from here – https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/SCOM-Agent-Management-b96680d5.